On the Farm

On the Farm

Friday, September 3, 2010

APPLE PIE FILLING......

So, in finding this great purpose, came a love for the great things that the earth can produce naturally! My green-thumbed MIL planted 5 apple trees years ago at the farm...unfortunately 1 didn't survive; still the first year that I was on the farm I noticed I had 8000 apples, and 0 clue what to do with them! My wonderful Mother reminded me of the adventures she and her Mother had canning with the family when she was younger! I guess this instance is how it all began for me! Canning apples was clearly the only thing to do with them! Of course the next year I got an itch to make 30 jars of applesauce for my daughter (who really doesn't eat it too often), then the year after that I decided to use some of the fresh apples, as well as the old jars of applesauce to make the perfect replica of Marion, Kentucky's Amish Communities Apple Butter! The applesauce and apple butter are in a different post.

CANNED APPLES
Core and Peel your apples. (In this case I have a corer/peeler that does the trick and saves some time)
Now, if you are using a corer/peeler hand crank I would suggest leaving the apples as whole as you possibly can. If you are hand coring and peeling quarter your apples. In this case, I love the time the peeler saves me, however, it cuts my apples into corkscrew shapes!

Once you have cut, cored and peeled your apples, put them in a large stockpot and fill with water. The apples will make their own water too so I wouldn't fill the water to over the apples, maybe just under the top apples.

Put on the stove to boil, with about 2-3 tbs of cinnamon (optional) as well as 1/2 to a 1 cup of sugar. Bring to boil, then reduce and let simmer at least a half an hour.

Now, you have two choices, you can either funnel your apples and some juice into the sterilized jars (don't forget to let your tops and lids boil in water for about 10 minutes prior), seal the jars and put in a large stock pot/canning pot and let the jars boil in water for about 1/2 to seal the jars. (I do this with my salsa).

HOWEVER, with apples and tomatoes, I go the quicker route. If your apples and tomatoes are coming directly from the pot, they will be hot enough to seal the jars. So, fill your jars, then put the tops and lids on very tight, turn upside down on a towel to cool....this will seal the jars. If they cool and you see that one or two isn't seal, drop the jar in boiling water for 1/2 hour....that should do the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment